Diet plays a huge part in any sport. Keeping your body functioning at a high level of intensity and keeping it healthy are key to anybody successful at sports. Below are nine healthy foods you can eat anytime!
1) Orange Fruits and Vegetables. Packed with vitamin A, E, C, and potassium. These help your immune system stay healthy.
2) Low-fat Milk or Soy Milk. Dairy Milk is a natural source of calcium, potassium, vitamin D and protein. Get the kinds fortified with Vitamin D and calcium. Many athletes use flavored milk for recovery drinks.
3) Low-fat Cheese. Easy snacked or serve in casserole. Full of calcium, potassium, protein.
4) Dark-green Leafy Vegetables. kale, spinach, and collard greens, for example, offer iron and calcium. Pair with foods high in vitamin C, or with meet to get he max absorption of iron.
5) Beans. Full of protein, Fiber, iron, zinc, and magnesium-find ways to fit beans into your weekly or daily diet-roast them for a crunchy snack, top a salad, or burrito, or pasta!
6) 100% Orange Juice. You can now find calcium with vitamin D fortified OJ. Orange juice is a natural source of vitamin C and folic acid. Source of calories if more than a cup and a half is consumed per day.
7) Seeds. similar to nuts(below) seeds are full of fiber, magnesium, healthy fats, and vitamin E. Eat them like you eat nuts.
8) Nuts. All nuts are chock-full of fats, fiber, healthy fat, magnesium, and vitamin E. Use them to top yogurt or cereal for example.
9) Low-fat Yogurt. Yogurt is a great source of calcium, vitamin D, protein and potassium. Go Greek if you want extra protein.
I followed USA Swimming for these foods. Please check their website out for more nutritional information. Whats your favorite snack food? Comment and discuss!